One of the world’s great intellectual destinations, the University of Chicago empowers scholars and students to ask tough questions, cross disciplinary boundaries, and challenge conventional thinking to enrich human life around the globe.
Under direct supervision, this job performs a broad range of operational activities, which may include collecting, organizing, and analyzing information from the University's various internal data systems as well as from external sources. This job also performs assignments related to data manipulation, statistical applications, programming, analysis and modeling.
- The main responsibility includes supporting research operations for our entire institute, mostly using the Python data science stack (e.g. Pandas) and SQL. You will be expected to work with our research and data science team on a variety of tasks, from maintaining and expanding our ETL pipeline, written in Python and Pandas, to querying our Epic Clarity data warehouse, to conducting routine statistical analysis.
- Performs code testing on components and works to ensure that appropriate implementation standards are met.
- Supports and maintains existing applications. Works with web developers and responds to requests from users.
- Assists in analyzing data for the purpose of extracting applicable information. Performs research projects that provide analysis for a number of programs and initiatives.
- May assist staff or faculty members with data manipulation, statistical applications, programming, analysis and modeling on a scheduled or ad-hoc basis.
- Collects, organizes, and may analyze information from the University's various internal data systems as well as from external sources.
- Maintains and analyzes statistical models using general knowledge of best practices in machine learning and statistical inference. Performs maintenance on large and complex research and administrative datasets. Responds to requests and engages other IT resources as needed.
- Performs other related work as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- Masters in biostatistics.
- 0-2 years’ experience working in software development.
- Some experience consuming and creating Python-based APIs.
- Some experience working with GIS and environmental linkage.
- Some experience working with genetic data.
Technical Skills Or Knowledge:
- Strong proficiency in the Python data science stack.
- A desire to help others and an interest in public health, especially around health disparities and advancing racial equity.