Vital Strategies is a global health organization that believes every person should be protected by a strong public health system. We work with governments and civil society in 73 countries to design and implement evidence-based strategies that tackle their most pressing public health problems. Our goal is to see governments adopt promising interventions at scale as rapidly as possible.
The Data Analyst will collaborate with leadership across all programs within the Public Health, Environment/Climate/Urban Health, and Finance Divisions to identify, analyze, and convert existing programmatic and financial data into powerful reports and visualizations that enable analysis for decision-making in a timely manner. Under the supervision of the Director for Grants and Administration and as part of the Grants Management and Administration team, the Data Analyst will work with Power BI to develop and maintain reports and budget monitoring dashboards. The incumbent will be trusted to develop the appropriate data accession, normalization, and programming structure to enable reporting in Power BI and to develop visually useful dashboards. to respond to divisional needs and optimize divisional use.
This is a full-time position based in our New York office, where a hybrid, 2-day-pe r-week office schedule is in place.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee budget management dashboard development, forecasting, and maintenance across many distinct data sources, including the full-stack development of budget monitoring dashboards from data back-end (adapting, designing, and implementing data models, data tables, data pipelines, etc.) to user-facing front-end (user interfaces, dashboards, reports, tools, and visualizations) rendering.
- Serve as internal consultant providing data-based recommendations and guidance to program leadership, and stakeholders in the areas of budget management/forecasting and programmatic data monitoring/evaluation/reporting via Power BI.
- Work with the Grants Team, other division leaders, and staff within the organization as a Subject Matter Expert to assess data needs, troubleshoot issues with existing dashboards, and oversee identified design and data development issues.
- Proactively meet with program staff to discern business problems and derive required reporting and dashboard requirements. Map out and develop dashboards, and any relevant back-end structures, based on business analysis.
- Using data design best practices, collaborate with program staff to adapt and refine existing dashboards, reports, and tracking tools from other platforms (NetSuite, Excel, Smartsheet, etc.) into automated dashboards using data visualization and analysis tools like Power BI.
- Perform data manipulation and cleansing to prepare datasets for implementation, reviewing for trends and patterns to draw conclusions, automate data flows, and improve data quality.
- Works closely and collaboratively with program staff and other stakeholders to increase user adoption by enabling program staff to make efficient use of the reports and dashboards, providing technical support, guidance, training, and addressing any issues that may impede optimum usage.
- Leads in the application of validation and QA efforts as they pertain to reporting, data, dashboard creation and execution, and dashboard quality.
- Work with Grant Managers to complete quarterly reconciliation of accounting monthly close reports, submitted donor reports, and Power BI to ensure accuracy across all mediums.
- Create processes and procedures to help the Grants Team streamline the completion of commonly requested and donor report generation for program inquiries.
- Ensure proper configuration management and change controls are implemented utilizing best practices in business intelligence and dashboard development.
- Develop best practices, documentation standards, processes, and procedures for dashboard design and publishing, creating flowcharts and diagrams as required.
- Monitor Power BI Service usage, and capacity in order to make recommendations for performance tuning, implementing performance improvements as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director.
Vital Strategies offers highly competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. The salary range for this position is $105,000 USD to $115,000 USD. The candidate must have authorization to work legally in the US at the time of hire.