February 22, 2024
About Our Company
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, founded in 1967, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. To celebrate 50 years, we have published a website that celebrates 50 years of impact and innovation: https://50years.edf.org/.
You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life. With programs from Boston to Beijing, Environmental Defense Fund is the only environmental group to receive an A rating from Wired magazine.
Job Description & Responsibilities
EDF+Business seeks a highly motivated, analytically rigorous Data Analyst to join our team focused on energy system decarbonization. The Data Analyst will be a key member of the team, conducting research and analysis on a breadth of environmental topics and supporting industry and the financial community with the independent analysis and tools needed to manage climate risk, assess opportunities, and accelerate urgent action at National Oil Companies.
This role will guide, manage, and grow our work to leverage the influence of global capital markets to incentivize, and finance, National Oil Companies and State Owned Enterprises to reduce harmful climate pollution.
The Energy Data Analyst will work with the Director, Energy Transition and Director, Investor Influence. Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Spearheading and supporting research and analysis for the Energy Transition and Investor Influence Team.
- Extracting usable data from valuable data sources; processing, cleaning, and validating the integrity of data to be used for analysis; analyzing large amounts of information to find patterns and solutions.
- Developing compelling visualizations using a range of tools and platforms.
- Managing the team’s access to and use of paid databases such as Refinitiv Eikon, Bloomberg Terminal, BNEF, Rystad UCube, and Proxy Insight.
- Identifying, accessing, and organizing data from a range of other sources, including internal EDF datasets, public domain datasets (IEA, EPA, Climate Watch) and data accessed via web scraping.
- Partnering with members of the EDF Marketing and Communications team to leverage data and visualizations in high-impact thought leadership and industry and investor-facing campaigns.
- Developing and presenting findings to industry and financial sector through briefing calls, webinars, workshops and conferences.
- Participating in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
We are seeking candidates who have a demonstrated ability to conduct rigorous research and analysis in energy, finance or a closely related field. Candidates must have exceptional problem-solving and interpersonal skills and work collaboratively within the EDF team.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field and/or a data science bootcamp certification. Data science work or internship experience desirable.
- Fluency in Python and Excel. Other languages such as R, SQL and Scala helpful.
- Experience accessing and working with diverse datasets. Knowledge of web scraping techniques.
- Data engineering skills allowing for optimal approaches to storage and organization of datasets.
- Ability to think critically about data quality to ensure robustness.
- Keen attention to detail to ensure consistency and quality of outputs.
- Ability to create a range of visualizations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Strong critical thinking skills with the ability to structure and test hypotheses to innovate new solutions for persistent, challenging issues.
- General knowledge of the global oil and gas industry – priority geographies, critical stakeholders, operational practices and key news and trends is desirable.
- Demonstration of interest in global financial industry – its key players, touch points with large extractive industries, and business models is also desirable.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
What we offer
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 57,000 - 64,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.