About Our Company
As a team of interdisciplinary experts in the built environment, we ensure real estate owners and occupiers invest wisely. We are committed to a radically better world for all.
Stok is reimagining the built environment. Founded in 2008, we provide sustainability consulting, energy and performance engineering, and real estate and workplace solutions. We work across sectors to balance financial performance with environmental goals, resulting in high-performance buildings and exceptional human environments. Leveraging interdisciplinary expertise and knowledge from involvement on 1000+ projects, we provide clients with strategy, management, and technical support through all phases of the project lifecycle—all under one roof.
Stok serves five of the Forbes top 10 Most Valuable Brands, is a Certified B Corp, and is an ILFI Just organization. We service projects worldwide from offices in San Francisco, San Diego, and Denver. To learn more, visit stok.com.
Job Description & Responsibilities
At this time, Stok will not require any employee to be in an office through the end of 2024, but our offices are open for team members to collaborate. This role's preferred location is San Francisco, San Diego, or Denver, but we are willing to consider this role being fully remote for the right candidate.
Stok delivers high performance real estate in pursuit of our purpose: boldly catalyzing an environmentally restorative and socially equitable world. We are seeking a Data Analyst to support our client's corporate climate programs and budgeting efforts. As a Carbon & Finance Data Analyst at Stok, you will work with some of the world's most innovative companies, including those influencing iconic real estate projects and portfolios. This person will support Stok project managers in delivering to corporate clients across a variety of climate-related topics, including: greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting, GHG forecasting, financial planning, data governance best practices, and regulatory disclosure requirements. At Stok, you are not an employee – you are a team member, and we promise you will feel the difference.
This is an excellent early level role for candidates who have a background in financial auditing and/or accounting and/or computer science and who are highly motivated to apply their skills and grow within the field of sustainability. We are excited about potential candidates who are highly organized, analytical and detail-oriented, with a knack for leveraging data and comfort with building Excel-based models and working with financial disclosures.
- Collaborate closely with our Carbon, ESG, Sustainability Consulting and Energy and Performance Engineering service groups to deliver data-informed solutions to a variety of client types including public and private corporations, cities, universities, and others.
- Support internal team members and Stok clients regarding GHG accounting, data management, data cleaning and validation, Excel-based analysis, and preparation and auditing of GHG and climate-related financial disclosures.
- Under the guidance of a Project Manager, perform detailed analyses and content creation related to: Scope 1-3 GHG inventories, inventory management plans (IMP), target feasibility assessments, emissions forecasting, reduction modeling, cost modeling, and ongoing data management systems and tools.
- Draft and co-deliver reports and presentations that verbally and visually communicate climate impact data analysis and recommendations.
- Identify opportunities to automate routine data cleaning and analysis tasks and take initiative to implement solutions that can be used across members of the Stok Service Group.
- Leverage self-led research and subject matter experts within and beyond Stok to deepen technical expertise related to GHG accounting standards and methodologies, data management controls, and to climate-related regulatory disclosures.
What you'll need to be successful in this role:
- Accounting, finance and/or computer science degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 2+ years' experience in a relevant professional setting, directly contributing to project delivery.
- Passion for climate action.
- Innate drive to learn and develop new competencies.
- Organized, methodical and analytical, with innate attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills, and understanding of data analysis workflows, statistical techniques, and data communication to non-technical audiences.
- Advanced use of Microsoft Excel to analyze large datasets.
- Demonstrated expertise in applying best practices for data cleaning, gap-filling, validation, and estimation across large and complex datasets.
- Demonstrated experience in independently developing data analyses to identify key takeaways, develop compelling visualizations, and clearly communicate results.
- Demonstrated experience working with financial data, such as developing pro formas, life cycle cost assessments, or and/or financial disclosures.
- Clear and professional writing for reports and presentations.
- Willingness to be proactive, take initiative, speak up, ask questions, solicit feedback, and request support when needed.
- Ability to take direction and work independently, as well as a member of a team.
- A team player that gets the job done and sees no task as too small.
Additional experience we'd be excited for you to bring:
- Professional experience conducting or supporting financial audits and/or preparing public financial disclosures.
- Demonstrated experience automating routine data cleaning and/or analysis tasks.
- Project management experience.
- Understanding of climate science, terminology and trends in corporate climate action, e.g., emissions scopes, science-based targets, net zero.
- Experience with and/or exposure to greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting.
What we offer
AT STOK, WE SEEK CULTURE ADD, NOT CULTURE FIT. OUR VALUES-ALIGNED TEAM MEMBERS:
- Craft innovative ideas and have a say in how the company they work for operates. Stok believes that power and money do not belong in the same sentence and has built self-management and distributive governance into our organizational structure so that every team member has a platform to share input on policies and procedures.
- Strive for a better way to do business and create a positive impact through their work. Stok believes in business as a force for good and is a certified B Corp, which demonstrates our commitment to maximizing social and environmental impacts, in addition to profit.
- Give back in a meaningful way. Stok gives 2% of all proceeds to the causes we believe in and supports local vendors and fellow B Corps wherever possible.
- Advocate for a level playing field. Stok cares about our people and has intentionally baked social justice into our operating practices, which we hold ourselves accountable to through our International Living Future Institute JUST Label.
The world needs companies like Stok now more than ever. And Stok needs you!
HOW WE SUPPORT YOU
At Stok, we want you to bring your whole self to work, which is why we have created a total rewards package which allows you to do just that.
Family is important. You can't be your best self without knowing that your family is getting what they need to thrive, which is why Stok offers its team members:
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision benefits for every Team member. We also provide 70% paid medical coverage for your dependents.
- Paid parental leave, so you can focus on your family during one of the most important times in your life.
- Life and AD&D insurance, because we all like to get out there and have fun, but sometimes accidents happen, and you still need to provide for your family.
Autonomy is structured into Stok's culture by design. You want to work at Stok because you are passionate about boldly catalyzing an environmentally restorative and socially equitable world, and you value self-management practices for how you show up for your role. That's why we offer:
- Flexible work schedules. Work + Life integration sometimes means you need a day to work in your PJs from home.
- Uncapped Personal Time Off. We are all fellow travelers and know taking time for ourselves is healthy and fosters growth. We trust you to ensure expectations for your role are met, so take time off when you need it.
Social and Environmental Justice are critical to our mission, so we bake them into everything we do.
- The world's first fossil fuel-free and gun-free 401(k) plan so you can invest in a future you believe in.
- Paid volunteer time each year to give you time to give back to your community and the causes that matter most to you!
- Transparent, objective, merit-based compensation and profit distribution policies
- $750 annual professional development stipend
- $250 WFH stipend to support remote ergonomics
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Personal company credit card
- Annual National Parks pass
COMPENSATION RANGE: $74,000-$100,000 based on market location and experience.