December 5, 2023
About Our Company
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue of approximately $40 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, increasing productivity in their laboratories, improving patient health through diagnostics or the development and manufacture of life-changing therapies, we are here to support them. Our global team delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services, Patheon and PPD.
Job Description & Responsibilities
The Financial Data Analyst is responsible for data completeness and accuracy across reporting systems, ensuring successful project integrations and improvements. This covers the product hierarchy, customer accounts and report reconciliations. The position requires good business partnering skills and collaboration with IT, project teams and FP&A business partners.
- Self-motivated, independent problem solver with excellent financial intuition and drive to explore the interaction of data across systems
- Utilize MS Excel, MS Power BI, SQL, and Cognos to extract, validate, and interpret data to meet the analytical needs of the business
- Uses analytical skills to address and proactively seek answers to user questions and issues relating to data integrity and reconciliations between reporting systems.
- Support the period close activities by performing variance analysis, processing financial adjustments, and communicating changes to team members
- Drive optimization of standardized reporting, analysis, and procedures ensuring the highest levels of accuracy, consistency, and efficiency using PPI (Practical Process Improvement)
- Identify, recommend and prioritize improvements to the customer experience, as well as internal process improvements and work with appropriate internal & external partners to implement
- Innovate using technology and business process knowledge to develop efficient automation of routine tasks.
- Navigates a matrixed organization to understand and drive completing of project requirements and provide projects updates to the broader community
- Collaborate with other functional groups (finance, IT, accounting, etc...) to establish validation requirements and develop test plans for system changes.
- Effectively work with global business partners
- Experience with in-depth financial modeling as well as proven analytical and statistical problem solving skills, including data handling and relational database programming
- Excellent skills with MS Excel and familiarity with SQL
- Exhibit leadership, initiative, and the Thermo Fisher Scientific 4-I values of Integrity, Intensity, Innovation, and Involvement
- Proven track record to make logical assumptions, analyze and communicate variances to management, and connect data from various systems
- The ability to identify and implement process improvements
- Strong written communication skills, along with clear and concise verbal skills, are required. The candidate will have the aptitude to construct easy to understand analysis and presentations
- Must haver the capacity to coordinate and prioritize work and demonstrate effective time management.
- Natural bias towards continuous improvement. Exposure to PPI/Kaizen methodologies is considered an advantage
- Skills with Oracle products, Power BI, and IBM Cognos or other business intelligence software a plus
- Experience with Python, VBA, PowerShell or other scripting language a plus
- Knowledge of ERP systems (E1, JDE, SAP) and Data Warehouses a plus
- Understanding of Agile/Scrum methodology a plus
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- 2+ years of progressive Finance experience
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business or other relevant background
- Advanced qualification preferred (CPA, MBA, or MS)
What we offer
- Employer sponsored health plan
- PTO and flexible holidays
- 401k with company match
- Hybrid/remote/on-site work schedules
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
Compensation And Benefits
The salary range estimated for this position based in California is $83,300.00–$135,000.00.
This position may also be eligible to receive a variable annual bonus based on company, team, and/or individual performance results in accordance with company policy. We offer a comprehensive Total Rewards package that our U.S. colleagues and their families can count on, which includes:
- A choice of national medical and dental plans, and a national vision plan, including health incentive programs
- Employee assistance and family support programs, including commuter benefits and tuition reimbursement
- At least 120 hours paid time off (PTO), 10 paid holidays annually, paid parental leave (3 weeks for bonding and 8 weeks for caregiver leave), accident and life insurance, and short- and long-term disability in accordance with company policy
- Retirement and savings programs, such as our competitive 401(k) U.S. retirement savings plan
- Employees’ Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) offers eligible colleagues the opportunity to purchase company stock at a discount