February 26, 2024
About Our Company
Connecting millions of people to the energy they use every day, while continually seeking ways to make the energy system clean, fair, and affordable.
National Grid lies at the heart of a transforming energy system. Our business areas play a vital role in connecting millions of people to the energy they use, while continually seeking ways to make the energy system cleaner. National Grid Ventures and National Grid Partners also enable innovations to help revolutionise and decarbonise the future of energy.
Job Description & Responsibilities
A key member of the Customer organization, this leader will guide and collaborate with business product and program teams to use customer data to achieve business objectives, making broad impact on a large scale.
Through a balance of hands-on and strategic data support, this role will accelerate National Grid’s overall data management and analytics capabilities and advance the delivery of our digital transformation and customer-centricity strategy.
- Thoroughly understand customer programs and products across strategic and tactical levels, engaging with leadership to map high level objectives and pain points to key processes and measurable results.
- Translate program and product objectives to technical data and tracking requirements, with specific consideration to customer experience, digital acceleration, and business value realization.
- Co-create value realization plans with leadership; educate and rally teams, building a culture of using data to identify and achieve business value.
- Produce and drive user stories for data product capabilities using agile methodology. Work closely with Data Product Owner to ensure needs are prioritized appropriately for development.
- Perform exploratory data assessment for new data sources. Produce summary statistics: data structure, metadata and lists of values, distribution of values, presence of outliers, etc. Perform quality assessment with recommendations for corrective action where necessary.
- Lead the build out of new data sources in the Enterprise Data Catalog and Business Data Glossary tools.
- Collaborate with Data Quality team to define program data quality business rules, data quality dimensions, and reporting metrics.
- Contribute to establishing business-side processes that monitor and improve quality of data with definitions of roles and responsibilities. Develop KPIs and establish an operational framework for incrementally improving data quality.
- Identify and drive system interoperability and data automation opportunities across program and product roadmaps and initiatives.
- Design and implement data and analytics deliverables using best-practice methods, including transformations, operational dashboards, and analytic insights. Guide the efforts of BI developers with the focus on driving business outcomes.
- Identify and contribute to quick wins that demonstrate tangible business benefits.
- Contribute to a culture of innovation; challenge existing processes, technologies, and systems; continuously seek ways to do things better to achieve benefits for our customers and drive efficiencies.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Provide status updates, change management communication, metrics, and reporting necessary to support and communicate health of overall program and product data.
- Be part of the scrum team, sometimes as product owner, and assisting as necessary. Contribute and provide leadership to user acceptance testing with stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills including negotiations and communications.
- Ability to influence key stakeholders and lead a group even where the role holder has no direct authority.
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Strong collaboration skills; partner well with cross-functional teams to solve problems, incorporating input from various sources
- Ability to embrace and drive change
- BA/BS in Business or STEM discipline. MS, MBA, or advanced degree a plus
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience crafting business and functional requirements (elicitation, consensus building, documentation, and traceability) and facilitating use case discussions
- 2+ years of data governance experience a plus
- Knowledge and experience in utility companies a plus
- Experience working in an agile environment using scrum methodologies
- Experience working on large systems with complex dependencies
- Experience working with large-scale cloud data warehouse structures such as Azure, Snowflake
- Experience working with data management and cataloging solutions such as Informatica
- Proficient in exploring data sources and validating data outputs
- Proficient in data querying with languages such as SQL and Python
- Ability to understand and interpret technical design and solution architecture documents
- Experience with JIRA and Confluence or equivalent tools
What we offer
Salary range: $106,000 - $125,000 a year
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.