December 2, 2023
About Our Company
FINRA is dedicated to investor protection and market integrity. Our team of highly trained professionals are passionate about protecting investors and ensuring financial markets remain fair by writing and enforcing the critical rules and regulations that govern more than 3,700 firms and 630,000 brokers across the country. Our ultimate goal is to foster robust, but fair and orderly, markets in which America’s 90 million investors can feel confident.
With more than 3,500 employees nationwide, FINRA is committed to a diverse, high-performance workplace. We recognize that it’s the hard work, passion and dedication of our team that makes FINRA the strong, successful organization it is. That’s why we offer a competitive compensation, benefits and services package.
And at FINRA, we offer more than just a job; we provide employees with the learning and educational tools needed to enhance their knowledge, talents and abilities—whether it’s an online course to enhance productivity or a seminar to maximize leadership skills.
At FINRA, we believe your work can be your passion.
Job Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Principal Data Analyst independently performs accurate data analysis in large complex Enforcement matters in accordance with well-established methodology. The Senior Principal Data Analyst is responsible for the strategic design and implementation of complex analytical and/or advanced data abstraction models for various securities products, complex fact patterns, new rules, high risk activities as well as performing ad hoc market analysis in support of the Enforcement Department. This role will be responsible for working with large volumes of data to identify securities law and rule violations, as well as detecting and understanding trends in the market place.
Essential Job Functions:
- Independently perform accurate data analysis in large complex matters
- Conduct advanced analyses and establishes and maintains consistent methodology
- Serve as the lead quantitative research analyst in building sophisticated models, determining proper empirical methodology, organizing data collection, writing unique programs, preparing written reports, and summarizing the results of analytic studies in formal and informal presentations.
- Identify and resolve questions about the best approach to data analysis in order to ensure consistency in matters across FINRA;
- Independently identify new investigative or analytics techniques as needed and assess the model for consistency with accepted approaches;
- Strategic design of quantitative reviews for detecting securities law and rule violations leveraging large volumes of equity, options and fixed income data;
- Develop state-of-the-art software tools to collect, and analyze large volumes of structured and/or unstructured data.
- Provide efficient quantitative support for market studies and investigations;
- Effectively describe data analysis and findings, noting exceptions or assumptions embedded in analysis;
- Independently identify interpretive or novel issues, and participate in discussions with other departments regarding interpretive issues;
- Communicate with other investigative units across FINRA to problem-solve and resolve conflicts in investigative approaches or inconsistent findings.
- Independently and efficiently complete data analysis in all types of Enforcement Investigations and reviews to achieve timely results.
- Establish timelines and achieve them, including directing the work of other team members to progress the case in a timely fashion;
- Identify and escalate matters or issues that require re-prioritization, and recommend next steps or alternative approaches;
- Prioritize risks and needs appropriately;
- Provide work product that requires minimal change or re-direction;
- Independently collaborate with investigative team, including attorneys, to produce a sound factual record supported by a clear legal framework in all types of matters.
- Partner with legal staff to plan investigation and fully develop the record in all matters, with respect to data analytics;
- Accurately and succinctly discuss any case or issue in meetings with respondents and other stakeholders;
- Provide clear and accurate factual findings to legal staff, and provide insight from industry experience and/or subject matter expertise to help objectively assess the sufficiency of evidence
- Proactively identify and discuss relevant and accurate factual findings with legal staff including areas of weakness or factual ambiguity;
- Provide effective testimony in litigation
- Demonstrate ability to perform independently and lead teams where appropriate.
- Identify opportunities to work with staff in other departments or leverage other matters for more efficient results, and manage team’s work product;
- Support management and others to inform internal and external constituents on overall program vision, strategy, operations, processes, and implementation status;
- Counsel and train other staff on efficient ways to leverage collective knowledge and work across the organization;
- Works with team members to achieve more efficient results
- Provide feedback and/or deliver training to other team members and coach performance as appropriate
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics/Data Science/Analytics, or Economics/Finance/Accounting, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced degree highly desirable.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of related experience, with at least four (4) years of experience and knowledge in the field of quantitative analysis as it relates to the securities industry.
- Must have strong financial and risk analytical skills; experience in operations and risk modeling fields; and demonstrated ability to analyze large amounts of data in an efficient manner.
- Experience in advanced statistical methods, pattern recognition, outlier detection algorithms, and/or building predictive models. Toolkits could include: SQL, Python/R, Strata, Tableau, Plotly, Shiny, Spark, Presto, etc.
- Hybrid or remote environment. At times, may work outside of normal business hours and overnight travel may be required.
What we offer
For work that is performed in CA, CO, New York, NY and WA, the chart below outlines the proposed salary range for the corresponding location. In addition to location, actual compensation is based on various factors, including but not limited to, the candidate’s skill set, level of experience, education and internal peer compensation comparisons.
California: Minimum of $111,800, Maximum of $220,900
Colorado: Minimum of $101,500, Maximum of $184,100
New York, NY: Minimum of $121,700, Maximum of $220,900
Washington St: Minimum of $101,500, Maximum of $211,700