December 2, 2023
About Our Company
We’re a full-service data-driven digital agency offering services that span digital experience, digital marketing and data strategy and insights.
For over 20 years, Velir has helped clients foster lasting connections with their audiences by shaping meaningful ideas into memorable digital experiences with data-driven strategies. From multi-billion-dollar global enterprises to the world’s leading nonprofits, we help our clients connect with their audiences through engaging, personalized experiences informed by data. Whether we leverage Sitecore, Acquia, Optimizely, Drupal, AEM, or other platforms, we prioritize the audience experience and put data at the heart of all our services.
Job Description & Responsibilities
Senior Data Analysts play a pivotal role in helping our client organizations gain valuable insights from their data to make informed decisions and drive business improvements. As senior-level individual contributors, responsibilities span from data strategy and data modeling to data analysis, reporting, and visualization. Our senior data analysts work closely with clients to understand their specific business needs and requirements to tailor data analytics solutions to meet those needs. This may also include recommending and implementing the right data analytics tools, platforms, and technologies for clients’ needs.
Because our clients are mostly US-based organizations, we look for the ability to communicate with professional proficiency in English, verbally and in writing.
Data Analytics Expertise You are responsible for leveraging structured data in reports and visualizations for strategic decision-making. You are capable of manipulating data through data cleaning, data transformation, and data modeling. As a senior member of the Analytics function, you serve as a mentor to other analysts, both individually and in group settings.
- Uses SQL to write complex queries that join data across multiple systems (bonus points for proficiency in dbt!).
- Derives key business metrics such as customer acquisition cost, customer lifetime value, monthly recurring revenue, or customer retention rate.
- Collaborates and shares results with clients who have varying levels of data expertise.
- Capable of designing, analyzing, and interpreting the results of experiments
- Has strong knowledge of statistics to communicate significance, confidence, or probability.
- Creates visualizations using tools like Looker, Tableau, Power BI, Sigma or Sisense
- Builds data models in dbt to support reporting and analysis
- Mentors and helps others grow in the field
- Helps our clients select, create, and report on key performance indicators or OKRs
Cross-Team Collaboration You are responsible for collaborating with peers and other functional departments to develop and implement analytics strategies and approaches that support engagement goals and deliver on client needs.
- Promotes a positive culture within and across different teams, collaborating with analytics engineers and data engineers on end-to-end client requirements
- Collaborates with clients and functional managers to plan for analytics needs for a product or feature launch
- Pairs with a teammate or with someone at a client on strategies for solving an analytical problem
- Creates an analysis, process, or reporting template that helps cross-functional teams solve for common analytics problems
- Regularly engages with other teams to make the organization more effective
- Takes initiative to identify and solve important problems. Coordinates with others on cross-cutting technical issues
- Recommends improvements to tools, configurations, and workflows towards clients’ goals and desired capabilities.
Project delivery You are responsible for contributing to the quality of our clients’ deliverables as well as ensuring the on-time delivery of complex analytics projects.
- Asks insightful questions to gather requirements and align expectations on what success looks like for a task
- Digs into the root cause of reporting issues
- Estimates accurate timelines for deliverables
- Keeps reliability, maintainability, and scalability of our clients’ systems top of mind
- Helps assure quality of their own and team members’ deliverables through quality assurance steps
- Walks stakeholders through findings and recommendations
- Embraces long-term ownership of projects while building shared knowledge for redundancy
- Contributes to undesirable or unowned work that improves the quality or velocity of the team’s efforts
Success Is Measured By
- Consistently hitting client billable time targets
- Positive feedback from clients, team, and other stakeholders
- Contributions to internal projects
- Contributions to internal documentation (processes, best practices, etc.)
- Mentorship of other team members
Tools & Technologies
- Query languages (e.g., varieties of SQL)
- Statistical computing languages (e.g., R, Python)
- Business intelligence tools (e.g., Sigma, Tableau, Power BI, Looker)
Technical Skills (Hard Skills)
See the latest Data Analytics skills framework.
- Programming You have a practical understanding and background in analytics code and programming, as evidenced by the ability to maintain local development environments, contribute basic features (unit testing, following clear steps for completion), and write code thoughtfully to aid in testing and modularity. Proficiency in Python (nice to have).
- Data Reporting You are able to generate more complex static reports or dashboards independently, using advanced features and customization options.
- Data Analysis You have a thorough understanding of data analysis and can identify deviations from the norm and relationships between various data points.
- Domain Expertise You have a strong level of knowledge in domains in which you’re working. You are able to relate how the business works with the goals of the immediate team.
- Data Modeling & Transformation You are familiar with how to convert, cleanse, and structure data into usable formats/structures to prepare it for analysis. You can effectively transform raw data into analysis-ready models for different use cases. You have some proficiency with data transformation tools such as dbt.
- Data Science Techniques & Applications You are familiar with how to identify, cleanse and automate the collection of valuable data. You can deploy techniques for quantitative data analysis of large data sets by building models and using machine-learning algorithms.
Essential Skills (Intangible Skills)
- Curiosity & Versatility You help your immediate peers to make decisions based on what projects need, not what they feel most comfortable doing. You have taken the initiative to seek out new ways to apply existing skills and knowledge.
- Collaboration & Partnership You can facilitate collaborative group activities and/or workshops with colleagues or external stakeholders. You are considered a role model for collaboration and creating alignment across teams because of your consistency and predictability.
- Effective Communication You reliably foster a culture of clear, concise, effective, audience-oriented communication for your team, other departments, and external stakeholders, ensuring those around you are actively listening as well as are understood.
- Developing Others You understand your team's domain, share knowledge frequently with your teammates and contribute to the team's documentation. You proactively watch for opportunities to share knowledge and encourage others to do the same.
- Culture & Togetherness You activate efforts towards a fairer, more diverse and safer workplace, using your influence on others to get things done in alignment with our values. You demonstrate confidence in the work of others around you, and trust them to deliver. You invest heavily in the relationships you are fostering with your team.
Qualifications (Must Haves)
- Proven experience as a Data Analyst or related role, with a focus on using data for business insights.
- Strong programming skills in SQL. Experience with Python is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with data visualizations tools like Looker, Tableau, Power BI, Sigma or Sisense.
- Proficiency with data modeling and transformation tools such as dbt
- Proficiency with data science techniques and applications
- Experience mentoring and advising other analysts
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Frequent sitting at a desk performing work on a computer
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
What we offer
We believe all team members should be rewarded competitively, using practices that are equitable and transparent. This philosophy ensures we’re able to find, grow, and retain exceptional talent from a variety of backgrounds.
The pay range for this role is $116,580 - $138,213 if based in the USA.
Please note that compensation packages are finalized after the interview process is concluded. We use a competency-based approach to base pay, which means it is based on the competencies and skills demonstrated for this role.