February 26, 2024
About Our Company
Milliman is among the world’s largest independent actuarial and consulting firms. Founded in Seattle in 1947, Milliman has offices in key locations worldwide. Through consulting practices in employee benefits, healthcare, investment, life insurance and financial services, and property & casualty/general insurance, Milliman serves the full spectrum of business, financial, government, union, education, and nonprofit organizations. In addition to consulting actuaries, Milliman’s body of professionals includes numerous other specialists, ranging from clinicians to economists.
Job Description & Responsibilities
We are looking for a senior analyst with strong critical thinking and technical skills to contribute to a variety of projects. This role is the ideal opportunity for someone with a desire to improve their technical and data literacy skills while gaining valuable experience in the field of healthcare.
Senior Analysts have the opportunity to develop their skills on a diverse set of projects, a sample of which include:
- Bundled Payment Reporting Interfaces: Interactive data visualization tools that allow providers who are participating in CMS bundled payment models to understand the costs and utilization of participating episodes of care. (More information here: http://www.milliman.com/Solutions/Products/Bundled-Payment-Reporting-Interface/#)
- Healthcare cost and utilization analysis: Analysis of Milliman’s vast administrative claims databases to help clients understand the cost and utilization associated with various patient populations. We frequently publish these analyses in white papers and peer-reviewed publications.
- Health outcomes modeling: Interactive Excel-based models that allow clients to understand how changes in treatment procedures or health behaviors affect cost and utilization outcomes.
Serve as project manager and/or subject matter expert on the following types of projects:
- Coding of patient identification algorithms and cost and utilization outcomes (e.g. readmission measures, quality measures). Produce code that is logically organized and well-documented
- Applying innovative techniques to large claims datasets to analyze a wide array of healthcare-related topics
- Creating and executing claims processing procedures that are organized and time- and resource-efficient
- Deriving insights from data and articulating these insights to team members verbally and/or through exhibits
- Creating and preparing error-free exhibits and reports summarizing findings for client delivery
- Working in collaboration with analysts, consultants, and actuaries to produce deliverables for clients in a timely manner
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, preferably in a quantitative (e.g. math, statistics) or healthcare-related field (e.g. Masters in Public Health)
- At least three years of experience analyzing medical insurance claims with SAS, SQL, R, or Python
- Experience using Microsoft Excel to build models
- Understanding of medical coding systems (CPT, ICD-10, DRG, etc.)
- Experience or knowledge of the healthcare industry and payer systems
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills, with a knack for finding and investigating trends and patterns in data
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to be precise and clear when describing results of data analyses
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks with little supervision
- Ability to work on and organize concurrent projects
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Experience conducting analyses using MarketScan and/or Medicare (or similar) databases
- Experience with or interest using data visualization and business intelligence tools (e.g. Power BI, Tableau, or Qlikview)
- Advanced skills in SAS (macros, PROC SQL)
- At least partial in-office work at either of our two locations
- Hands on project-management experience on claims-based analytic projects and/or experience serving as a subject matter expert on the set up and coding of claims-based analytic projects.
What we offer
Salary range is $80,000 to $125,000, depending on relevant factors, including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, location, etc.