About Our Company
Nelnet is a leading student loan servicer – but we’re even more than that.
We provide payment technology for over 1,300 higher education institutions and 11,500 K-12 schools. We deliver world-class fiber internet, TV, and phone services to residents of Nebraska and Colorado. We help borrowers achieve their educational goals with private student loan and refinance solutions. And we help businesses boost their performance with our cutting-edge technology and trusted expertise.
Each day, over 6,500 Nelnet associates in more than 30 communities across the country work to serve our customers and make their dreams possible. And we’re on the lookout for new people to help us go even further.
Job Description & Responsibilities
Data Analyst on the Federal Loan Analytics team
- The ideal candidate for this position will live in or near Lincoln, NE or Madison, WI with the option of working a hybrid, remote or fully in-office schedule.**
We are seeking a talented data analyst who can:
- Utilize their skillset to mine and pull complex datasets.
- Have the business intelligence to interpret the data and analyze for trends, correlations, and other key characteristics.
- Provide strategic and defensible recommendations for improving our systems, processes, and strategies based upon findings supported by research and data analysis.
- Effectively compile, package, present and discuss analysis and insights with customers in an impactful narrative or visual form.
- Develop reports and dashboards to communicate performance and deliver insight to customers while monitoring data quality issues.
- Continuously seek out opportunities to add value through process automation and programmatic solutions to manual tasks.
- Be proactive to customer needs and support the Nelnet Management team as our primary customer.
- Employment and continued employment are contingent upon obtaining and maintaining a favorable government security clearance
- Must reside in the United States and be a United States citizen
- This process involves collecting and providing 7 years of previous work experience, previous addresses, and contact information of people that can verify this information
- Must not be delinquent or in default with any federal debt
- Final suitability determination is the sole discretion of the Department of Education
4-year College Degree Preferred Or Equivalent Experience Needed
1 year of data analytics with proven track record of experience matching the summary above. Preferable to see examples or published work.
COMPETENCIES – SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:
- Technical skill-set
- Competency with extracting, manipulating, querying data in a variety of database systems - programming: Microsoft T-SQL, PostgreSQL.
- Familiarity with data access and structuring tools (Coginiti for Netezza/AWS, Python, SQL Server Analytics Services, SQL Server Management Studio).
- Familiarity with reporting and dashboarding software (e.g. Microsoft Power BI, DAX.
- Expertise with Microsoft Excel, including formulas, charts and Pivot Tables.
- Familiarity with scripting languages: Python for data manipulation and process automation.
- Familiarity with data mapping, cleansing, and editing as well as Extract, Transform, and Load processes (ETL) using Python and Visual Studio.
- Exceptional critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to conceptualize and analyze complex business processes
- Excellent oral/written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Negotiation, facilitation and presentation skills.
- Ability to define and achieve business goals and deadlines while working both independently & collaboratively.
- Customer-focused philosophy.
- Ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities and consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to meet and manage customer expectations in a professional and timely manner.
- Student loan/finance industry experience preferred.
What we offer
Salary range for this role is $50K-$70K
Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, HSA and FSA, generous earned time off, 401K/student loan repayment, life insurance & AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, employee stock purchase program, tuition reimbursement, performance-based incentive pay, short- and long-term disability, and a robust wellness program.