December 6, 2023
About Our Company
About Boise: We are dedicated to creating a city for everyone. Our team is 1600 people strong and is one of the largest employers in the area. Guided by a mission that keeps us focused on our community, our environment and our economy, we are passionate professionals who dream big and work hard. Our shared values are simple and we believe in them: One City, One Team – for the Greatest Good, Community Experience with “WOW”, and lastly, There’s Nothing We Can’t Do Better. From maintaining parks, to protecting the public, to designing water renewal systems, our entire organization is driven by the knowledge that every day when we go to work, we help to enhance what is loved most about Boise for generations to come.
Job Description & Responsibilities
10/30/2023 12:00 PM Mountain
The Data Analyst provides the Library with detailed, meaningful analytics to support data-driven decisions. Develops and executes business strategy through a better understanding of library data. Presents data to advise leaders and plays an integral part in guiding the department's strategic initiatives. Serves as the department's point of contact for data requests. Maintains productive relationships with the Information Technology department and other key partners. Works independently with discretion and initiative.
- Manages and executes analytics projects from start to finish. Evaluates information from multiple sources and systems using data queries to reconcile conflicting or incomplete data, toward creating a consistent set of tools. Performs complex analysis of existing data to generate statistics, discover correlating information, solve problems, or make recommendations. Analyzes issues and prepares recommendations based on findings. Makes or recommends decisions that have a significant impact on general business operations or finances. Applies analytical methods to business problems and conducts regular updates to forecasts and reports, driving improved decision-making and outcomes.
- Serves as the department's point of contact for data requests and ad hoc reporting. Produces cartographic products, tabular summaries, and data reporting tools. Provides strategic-level recommendations based on data and analytical outputs and methods. Responds to a variety of reporting requirements. Maintains working knowledge of area-specific systems technology and report writing, as well as internal policies and procedures. Compiles, analyzes, and presents technical and statistical information in reports. Prepares written and oral reports requiring skills in research and analysis of statistical data, field studies, and surveys.
- Identifies goals, objectives, and business requirements with internal customers using interviews, requirements workshops, surveys, process descriptions, task and workflow analysis, and communicates findings and recommendations to city staff, elected officials, and the public through engaging data visualization and presentation. Develops reports, interactive dashboards, analytics, and tools to meet strategic and operational needs and drive business decisions. Creates and curates interactive maps and dashboards, datasets, and other data storytelling tools for use by the public to share information and increase the city's data transparency. Interprets and explains the implications of data on business operations and provides recommendations for action to drive individual and organizational change and to inform business decisions.
- Assists with identifying areas of improvement and concerns in strategic and operational areas and provides appropriate strategies to resolve them; identifies and designs solutions where multiple data sources and tools are often required. Develops strong, credible partnerships and learns all aspects of the business for positive impact.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
Required Knowledge, Experience, And Training
Bachelor's degree in computer science, business administration, or related field and three years of experience with data management and visualization, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- expert knowledge of Excel analytics
- statistical analysis, survey tools, and research techniques
- general data architecture and data visualization
- training and development principles and practices.
- use creative problem-solving to generate new perspectives and innovative solutions
- present technical information to non-technical and various audiences
- use statistical methods and analytics to solve business problems, create actionable insights and recommendations, and assist with identifying areas of improvement and developing strategies to resolve them
- translate statistical insights into practical tools, recommendations, or changes
- display professionalism and discretion in handling sensitive information
- manipulate and manage large, complex databases, spreadsheets, and queries with a strong commitment to data integrity
- draw sound conclusions, make recommendations, and implement solutions
- respond to strategic and organizational issues, concerns, and needs
- communicate effectively in the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance
- perform all essential functions as assigned by an authorized employee, supervisor, and/or manager with or without reasonable accommodation.
Preferred Knowledge, Experience, And Training
- Master's degree in industrial/organizational psychology, economics, statistics, or related field and five years of progressive experience applying analytical methods to business problems, driving improved decision-making and outcomes.
- Knowledge and experience with advanced BI tools, Excel VBA coding, SQL, or other database queries.
- Applicants must be able to pass:
- City of Boise background check processes which include a criminal history check and reference checks in accordance with the City of Boise Hiring Process Regulation
- Criminal Justice Information System Background Check (CJIS)
What we offer
$71,000/yr - $77,000/yr