February 22, 2024
About Our Company
Clients partner with Cooley on transformative deals, complex IP and regulatory matters, and high-stakes litigation, where innovation meets the law.
Cooley has 1,400 lawyers across 18 offices in the United States, Asia and Europe, and a total workforce of 3,300.
Job Description & Responsibilities
Cooley is seeking an Enterprise Business Data Analyst to join the Information Services team.
Position summary: Cooley Information Services (IS) embraces a culture of customer service excellence, and all members of the department are expected to move this agenda forward. To that end, the IS Enterprise Business Data Analyst is expected to recognize that the Cooley IS department is a service organization first and foremost and will be evaluated on this requirement equal in importance to the technical or operational responsibilities outlined in this document.
The mission of the IS Enterprise Data Strategy team is to ensure all enterprise data is optimized and available in aggregate to the business for cross-functional reporting and analysis and to ensure all data systems, structures, architectures, and integration methods adhere to firm standards. The Enterprise Business Data Analyst will serve a critical function in this team, working with the Enterprise Data Strategy team to build an ontological model that reflects the current knowledge architecture of the firm.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lead in the design of the firm’s data catalog using the data.world SAAS platform, in conjunction with in-house and other workflow-based software such as Intapp Integrate, MSSQL and vendor-based APIs
- Advise other technical teams working with the firm’s data on best practice approaches, guiding them to the data catalog for adherence to these practices where relevant and useful
- Work with business owners to design robust solutions to fundamental data classification problems (i.e., how do I find data that’s fit for my intended purpose)
- Provide data consumption and usage guidelines to those needing access to the firm’s data, in concordance with enterprise level data governance principles
- Work with the entire Enterprise Data Strategy team to define, socialize and deploy improved enterprise level data governance principles, using the data catalog as a vehicle
- In collaboration with the wider Enterprise Data Strategy team, and working closely with the Enterprise Data Architect, ensure that taxonomies, classifications, business data rules, mapping tables and other artifacts of the work are published and made available for reference and consumption by business stakeholders and application support and development teams
- Complete and evangelize the firm’s knowledge graph capabilities and complete its implementation roadmap
- Represent IS in the local office, both at Tech Lounges and at firm wide events
- Participate in projects where needed as a representative of the Enterprise Data Strategy Team
- All other duties as assigned or required
Skills and experience:
- After orientation at Cooley LLP, exhibit proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite, iManage, Adobe Acrobat and other firm applications
- Ability to work extended and/or weekend hours, as required
- Ability to travel to other offices, as needed
- 4+ years’ experience as a data analyst or similar role
- Extensive knowledge of taxonomy software platforms, taxonomic approaches, and industry standard products such as Protégé, PoolParty, and other related tools
- At least some familiarity (and ideally prior experience) with RDF and SPARQL
- Interest in and knowledge of auto-content classification
- Knowledge of data catalogs and data lake concepts
- Some exposure to, and core familiarity with, common API approaches to data sharing, including OAUTH, SOAP and REST
- Familiarity with one or more BI reporting tools such as Power BI, Tableau or SSRS
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience working within the legal services or related professional service sector
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Power BI and Tableau
- Solid technical background in legal data systems and understanding of the legal client matter lifecycle
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to collaborate and communicate with staff at all levels
- Excellent research, analytical, written, verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work within in a centralized group in a geographically dispersed environment
- Ability to be self-motivated and proactive
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability in delivering high-quality deliverables to tight timescales
- Ability to apply analytical and creative thought processes
- Ability to organize, analyze and distil large amounts of data into actionable intelligence and reports
- Intellectual curiosity – the ability to derive connections and synthesize information and facts
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple competing tasks and demands, provide high levels of customer service and maintain a professional demeanor at all times
What we offer
Cooley offers a competitive compensation and excellent benefits package and is committed to fair and equitable employment practices. EOE.
The expected annual pay range for this position is $100,000 - $140,000. Please note that final offer amount will be dependent on geographic location, applicable experience and skillset of the candidate.
We offer a full range of elective benefits including medical, health savings account (with applicable medical plan), dental, vision, health and/or dependent care flexible spending accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits, life insurance, AD&D, long-term care coverage, backup care for children and/or adults and other parental support benefits. In addition to elective benefit options, benefited employees receive firm-paid life insurance, AD&D, LTD, short term medical benefits as well as 21 days of Paid Time Off (“PTO”) and 10 paid holidays each year. We provide generous parental leave and fertility benefits. New employees will attend a detailed benefit orientation to learn more about our many benefits and resources.