The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With over 925,000 members representing more than 11.5 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members.
Data Strategy & Analytics team is a small group of data analysts supporting stakeholders across the organization in their respective analytics needs as part of the larger Digital Strategy and Development Department. The data analyst role is responsible for a mix of data mining, data story-telling, and dashboard creation to promote self-service analytics and the use of data in decision making among internal stakeholders. We are open to hiring a data analyst or senior data analyst pending level of experience.
ASCAP is home to more than 900,000 music writer and publisher members across all genres - the greatest names in music, and thousands more in the early stages of their careers. We are the world leader in performance royalties, advocacy, and service for music writers and publishers, and are the only PRO in the US run by its members including songwriters, composers, and music publishers.
ASCAP resides at a unique crossroads of music industry datasets, capturing billions of data points annually from dozens of global sources including Spotify, Apple, and YouTube. This is a unique opportunity to build and present in-depth analyses about what is happening in the music industry today to help shape how it will grow in the future. We are looking for an imaginative and creative individual, passionate about music and interested in finding new ways to leverage our data to better serve our writers and publishers.
As a member of the Data Strategy and Analytics team, you will collaborate with all departments across ASCAP, data being a common language throughout. Reporting to the Senior Director of Data Strategy you will be an analytics thought-leader in designing and developing innovative analyses to empower internal stakeholders to self-serve and make data-driven decisions faster and more effectively than ever before.
This role is ideal for an analyst who enjoys being hands on with data, is eager to learn about new technology and business needs, and is excited to interface with internal stakeholders to support their analytics needs.
- Support our self-service analytics mission whether generating datasets or creating new reports and visualizations for our stakeholders throughout the organization
- Work closely with data engineers to brainstorm creative ways to answer some of ASCAP’s most challenging questions that unlock new revenue and cost-saving opportunities
- Manage stakeholder expectations by thinking through the best ways to deliver incremental value while moving larger projects toward their completion
- You have at least around 1 year of relevant experience as an analyst or in similar roles, either in internships or professional office settings
- You are an intellectually curious individual who enjoys asking questions. Not knowing an answer to a question bothers you, and you will stop at nothing to find a meaningful answer
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You feel comfortable slicing and pivoting data in different ways for analytical purposes
- You are able to generate a basic chart or visualization that highlights an insightful outcome that you can clearly articulate to someone who might not have the same level of understanding about the data as you
- After generating an analysis, you are able to thoroughly document the steps you took to arrive at the outcome and highlight any important caveats about the data along the way
- You take pride in being thorough and enjoy educating others to fully understand your analytical approach and outcome
- You find it fun thinking critically and creatively with others
- You have a passion for data and find yourself using it to defend your position or to support a new decision
- You love music and enjoy the idea of supporting music creators
- Proficiency in SQL and/or Python for data manipulation
- Demonstrable experience building insightful reports and/or visualizations as well as analytical outputs
- Comfortable maintaining the integrity of the data throughout an analysis
- Familiarity with Sigma or a similar tool for data exploration and visualization
- Conceptually familiar with data modeling and big data environments
What We Love About You
- Curious: You are a lifelong learner and are driven to answer unanswered questions
- Hands-On: You are willing to get your hands dirty in order to accomplish the task at hand. You have a personal mantra of “there’s always a way…”
- Data-Driven: You leverage data to support your opinions and find that more detail is always preferable.
- Honest: You’re willing to admit you don’t know the answer or that you have made a mistake. You consider analysis a moral endeavor and strive to prepare truthful output independent of any potential consequence.
- Audible: You speak up when you disagree or don’t understand something. There are no rockstars. We want to hear what you think.
- Master of Your Craft: You take pride in your work and strive to learn more to hone your skills.
Required Vs. Preferred Skills
- 1-3 years of related technical work /analytical experience
- Familiarity with SQL (joining tables to analyze data)
- Comfortable with Excel and slicing data
- Interpret, analyze, work w/data
- Fluent in SQL (CTEs, aggregation)
- Exposure to Python or similar coding languages
- Exposure to BI tools
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need.
- A choice of either network only provider medical and dental plans or more flexible medical and dental plans where you can see providers in or out-of-network
- Vision plan that offers both in and out of network provider options
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with an employer provided match
- An additional Employer paid retirement savings program regardless of your participation in the 401(k) Plan
- Generous time-off policy
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Short term disability Insurance/ salary continuation and Long term disability insurance
- Company provided basic life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Supplemental and dependent life insurance options