About Our Company
Gray is a human-centered digital services company using design and technology to transform government services.
Founded by technologists from the White House’s U.S. Digital Service (USDS), Gray provides agile software development, DevOps, and human-centered design to deliver mission-critical products with a purpose. Our highly-efficient, cross-functional teams deploy modern technology best practices to empower government agencies to better serve the American people.
Whether we're improving access to Veterans' disability benefits or building secure and equitable services for the Department of Homeland Security, we thrive on delivering digital solutions that are purposeful, trustworthy, and meet the needs of millions of Americans.
We're looking for the most tenacious designers, software engineers, and product managers who are committed to developing a people-first culture and doing work that matters.
Join us today!
Job Description & Responsibilities
Our Data Analyst will work on a cross-functional team of engineers, analysts, researchers and product managers directly with the State of Colorado to modernize and improve their internal tools. As a key member of the team, you'll contribute directly to impactful digital services transformation that empowers government agencies and civil servants to better serve the American people by delivering a best-in-class user experience. .
You are a team player who knows how to collaborate with many different teams and stakeholders, and prevent technical bottlenecks. You are a self-starter who never stops learning and helps their team perform at its best.
Are you passionate about untangling and redesigning government services to better serve Americans? Do you strive to do meaningful work with a company that cares about its people's well-being? In that case, Gray is the right company for you.
What You’ll Do (Primary Responsibilities)
- Lead the effort to surface actionable insights from business processes related to payroll, creating process flows and mapping dependencies and interrelationships.
- identify data cleanup opportunities and will be responsible for creating artifacts that will enable the team to build a Data Dictionary and Data Warehouse that improve data quality and reporting and that will enable a shared understanding across agencies about what data fields mean.
- Work with the Researcher to conduct a business and process analysis to map systems currently in place, including the integrations and dependencies on other systems, and use this information to create process and data flow diagrams that show how the data moves through the system to inform the Data Dictionary, data cleanup plan, Data Warehouse, and recommendations for the future payroll system.
- Work closely with the Researcher, the Senior Data Analyst, and the Product Manager to connect business process flows to user needs and data requirements.
- Work with the Senior Data Analyst to document existing and determine unmet reporting needs.
- Work with the Data Architect and Data Engineer to create initial samples of reports for the DPA user community to be made available through the delivered proof of concept data environment.
- Work with Colorado’s Product Owner and payroll specialists (as needed) to build data validation rules that payroll data can be evaluated against to support data cleanup and data quality controls.
- Familiarity with generic data models
- Experience with the collection of data from various sources and alignment with a generic model
- Experience with data lakes, data marts and data warehouses and understand the differences
- Familiarity with AWS-based file and data transfer methods
- Experience with SQL and understand AWS databases
- Familiarity with data profiling, data observability and data security needs.
What You’ll Bring (Requirements)
- Education Requirements: A Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, electronics engineering or other engineering or technical discipline is preferred.
- Years of experience: 3-5+ years experience
What Our Team Values
- Mission and values-driven - passionate about prioritizing Gray’s values and mission to transform how the government serves its citizens.
- Positive can-do attitude - can navigate challenges and find solutions while being tenacious, optimistic, and results driven.
- Self-starter with a bias for action - works well without a lot of direction and thrive on being accountable to discover problems, create goals, and execute plans.
- Resilience - dependable in the face of adversity and handle uncertainty and obstacles with grace and elegance.
- Collaboration - embrace differing perspectives to make better decisions and collaborate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Passion - strong ability to motivate and inspire people to do their best work.
- Communication - exceptional written, verbal, relationship building, and emotional intelligence skills.
- Curiosity - constant desire to learn and improve.
- Analytical thinking - in search of the truth and can dig into data to make reasoned decisions objectively.
- Integrity and selflessness - treat people with respect, take a stand yet commit even in disagreement, and are known for your candor and sincerity.
What we offer
- $100,000 - 130,000 Base Salary + Benefits + Growth Potential
- Contract agreements will be considered
Why Gray (Benefits And Perks)
Gray is an experienced team of dreamers, doers, and change-makers brought together by a shared commitment to doing work that matters, solving big problems, and upholding Gray's mission and values in our daily interactions.
While our headquarters is in Boulder, CO (recently named the best place to live by U.S. News), we are a remote first company and you're free to work where you work best, anywhere within the US.
We care about the happiness of our people. We offer an industry best benefits package and cultivate an environment of empowerment, autonomy with accountability, and a commitment to a healthy work-life balance. Join our team and help defend our vision to deliver meaningful work and a people-first culture.
“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the people to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”
Here Are Highlights Of Our Benefits Package
- Competitive Compensation
- Flexible Work Schedules
- Flexible Vacation
- 100% Health Coverage
- 401k Match
- Professional Development
- Wellness Allowance
- Publishing and Speaking Opportunities
- Tech and Tools Allowance
- Mission and Public Good Impact
- Work-life balance