December 2, 2023
About Our Company
The customer is the center of all we do.
Premera is a leading health plan in the Pacific Northwest, providing comprehensive health benefits and tailored services to more than 2 million people, from individuals to Fortune 100 companies. Premera is committed to improving customers’ lives by making healthcare work better.
The company offers innovative health and wellness solutions focused on quality outcomes for patients and controlling costs. The Premera family of companies are based in Mountlake Terrace, Wash., and provide health, life, vision, dental, stop-loss, disability, workforce wellness and other related products and services.
Premera Blue Cross is an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association serving businesses and residents of Alaska and Washington state, excluding Clark County.
Job Description & Responsibilities
As a Healthcare Data Analyst in the Corporate Data and Analytics team, you will collect, process, analyze, compile, and present data to help answer business questions and solve business problems using a variety of healthcare reported data including claims, clinical, pharmacy, lab, healthcare cost, utilization, healthcare management and clinical research. You will apply advanced statistics and complex mathematical methods to create a wide range of analyses. You will translate numbers into plain English and visualizations that can be better used to understand, guide and support the business. You will effectively solve analytical problems using more complex analyses including forecasting, scenario analysis, experimental design, and linear programming using both programmatic and automatic methods, and will use your knowledge and expertise to solve a wide range of complex and difficult problems.
This position can be hired into as a Level III or Level IV, depending on experience. This will be a virtual/telecommuter position, working from home.
What you’ll do:
- Design, develop, and implement analytics, operational reporting, and trend analysis to support internal and external business customers.
- Develop data reports, statistical models and analytics for management using visualization and statistics to understand and solve complex business problems.
- Analyze and interpret results using statistical tools and techniques to pinpoint trends and patterns in complex data.
- Troubleshoot issues as they arise and independently solve problems.
- Prepare documentation on all projects to enable peer review and ensure continuity of data product quality.
- Participate in peer review work done by other analysts. Share knowledge of analytics and data in area of specialty.
- Consult with internal and external customers to access scope and complexity of projects. Develop and maintain computer programs to support various, often complex, analyses, processes, and reports.
- Automate reported analytic products on large data sets.
- Search and review industry and/or academic literature and identify appropriate quantitative methodologies.
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Information Systems, Computer Science, Finance, Information Management, Economics or similar quantitative area, or the equivalent of (4) years of work experience in a related field. (Required for both Level III and Level IV)
- (5) years of experience in applying quantitative analytics tools, methods and processes, data architecture, database design, data transformation and data management, which includes (3) years of experience with SQL, Python, VBA or other scripting language and (1) year of experience analyzing healthcare related data. (Required for Level III)
- (8) years of experience in advanced quantitative analytics tools, methods and processes, data architecture, database design, data transformation and data management and which includes (5) years of experience with SQL, Python, R, VBA or other scripting language and (3) years of experience analyzing healthcare related data. (Required for Level IV)
- Master’s Degree in quantitative science field preferred.
- Experience with advanced analytics and tools.
- Experience using a variety of data and data formats.
- Technical expertise creating data models, database design, data mining and segmentation.
- Strong knowledge and experience with reporting packages, databases, and programming.
- Advanced knowledge of statistics and mathematical methods and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets.
- Adept at queries, reporting and presenting findings using variety of data visualizations.
- Ability to apply practical data modeling to build data products.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology, medical coding and billing, claims processing procedures and considerations, and clinical data and data requirements.
- Knowledge of data requirements associated with PPI.
What we offer
What We Offer
- Medical, vision and dental coverage
- Life and disability insurance
- Retirement programs (401K employer match and pension plan)
- Wellness incentives, onsite services, a discount program and more
- Tuition assistance for undergraduate and graduate degrees
- Generous Paid Time Off to reenergize
- Free parking
The pay for this role will vary based on a range of factors including, but not limited to, a candidate’s geographic location, market conditions, and specific skills and experience.
National Salary Range:
$75,200.00 - $127,900.00
National Plus Salary Range:
$85,000.00 - $144,500.00
National Plus salary range is used in higher cost of labor markets including Western Washington and Alaska.