February 22, 2024
About Our Company
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally-focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive.
Our network includes USA TODAY and 200+ local media brands, LocaliQ digital marketing solutions, Newsquest's 120+ UK media brands, USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures, and more!
Job Description & Responsibilities
Gannett is looking for a Data Analyst with journalism experience (required) to monitor and advise content strategies on the performance and innovation of the USA TODAY Network’s work on newsletters, social, messaging, video and other emerging platforms. This analyst will also partner across divisions to develop relevant reporting for new experiments and initiatives USA TODAY and local sites are launching.
Off-platform content is growing fast across at Gannett and a critical way that we reach and engage with younger readers. We are seeking an analyst that understands the nuance of data reporting for these platforms, the audiences, ad revenue, subscription referral and cohorting these users to understand how their readership affects business goals.This analyst must be nimble and willing to adapt and learn as platforms and new delivery methods shift.
As a key member of our dynamic Content Strategy/Analytics team, you will utilize your expertise in data analytics, reporting tools, and market insights to enhance the audience engagement, revenue generation and digital subscription growth for USA TODAY and local USA TODAY network sites.
This role can work remote from anywhere in the US except for Alaska & Hawaii.
- Help set and monitor KPIs and dashboards, ensuring accuracy, timeliness, and relevance.
- Work with USA Today network leaders in crafting and monitoring strategy, KPIs for video, platforms and experiments.
- Work with regional strategists and product to analyze performance across multiple user journeys.
- Analytics QA for new product deployments and troubleshooting.
- Develop engagement metrics that allow the business to better understand user behavior based on their entry, product use and propensity to subscribe.
- This is about more than reports and spreadsheets. The strategist will exercise judgment in translating data points into actionable insights. The right candidate deeply understands data tools and knows how to apply their analytical mindset to content. This is a hands-on data job, and digging skills are required. But it's just as important that a candidate understand how research relates to modern users of our products, particularly on mobile devices.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively convey findings and recommendations to diverse stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in communication, journalism, marketing, data science or analytics, or an equivalent combination of education and experience working with data.
- 3-5 years of experience in analytics, with a preference for content analytics. Journalism experience is mandatory.
- Expertise in Excel, GA4, Looker/Data Studio, Big Query, SQL, Tableau, Google Ad Manager and other analytic and data tools.
- Expertise in platform-specific data tools such as Emplifi, CrowdTangle, Tubular, Exact Target and other analytic and data tools.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to analyze audience and revenue data (both consumer and advertising/affiliate), identify trends, and provide timely recommendations that contribute to informed business decisions.
- Experience identifying, analyzing, and using data to independently test theories, confirm assumptions, and measure success via iteration and with attention to detail.
- Familiarity with news products and journalism and understanding of media analytics and ethics.
- Preferred: A passion and experience with storytelling via social, newsletters.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
What we offer
The annualized base salary for this role will range between $60,000 and $93,150.
Variable compensation is not reflected in these figures and based on the role, may be applicable. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, location, and union representation, if applicable.