About Our Company
UC San Diego Health and Health Sciences has been caring for the community and producing physicians for more than 50 years. In 1966, we established our first medical center. Two years later, in 1968, UC San Diego School of Medicine opened for business.
The UC San Diego School of Medicine is the region’s only medical school recognized among the best in the nation and in the world, in both research and in primary care. In addition to graduating thousands of world-class physicians, the faculty and staff of UC San Diego School of Medicine provides medical care to those in need, as well as programs or services that promote health and healing in response to identified community needs. Learn more about the School of Medicine at https://medschool.ucsd.edu and how we translate new discoveries from our laboratories to our patients at https://medschool.ucsd.edu/research.
In addition, we are home to Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences and the Herbert Wertheim School of Public Health and Human Longevity Science.
The mission of UC San Diego Health is to deliver outstanding patient care through commitment to the community, groundbreaking research and inspired teaching. UC San Diego Health's vision is to create a healthier world – one life at a time – through new science, new medicine and new cures.
Job Description & Responsibilities
The UC San Diego Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences is home to professional educational programs and cutting-edge biomedical and life science research. The Kufareva lab combines computational and experimental approaches to elucidate the principles of GPCR- and G protein-mediated cell responses to stimuli and drugs. The school and the lab offer a dynamic learning environment and growing opportunities to talented and dedicated employees.
Under direct supervision, acquires skills and knowledge of professional concepts in research data analysis. Works on small projects or segments of projects with limited scope and complexity.
Under direct supervision, the RDA will implement computational methods for mass spectrometry data analysis, adopt and optimize previously developed software for modeling of cell signaling, and integrate it with the available proteomics data. In additional, the RDA will perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- Four years of related experience, education/training, OR a Bachelor’s degree in related area.
- Acquiring knowledge of research function. Acquiring ability to perform research analysis duties. Enthusiasm for learning and a genuine interest in scientific research. Demonstrated willingness and ability to learn new skills, techniques, research methods, and scientific principles. Demonstrated ability to read, comprehend and discuss research materials, and to assist in the writing of research papers and proposals.
- Acquiring statistical analysis, systems programming, and database design skills to perform research analysis duties.
- Ability to effectively manage time and see assigned parts of projects through to completion on deadline.
- Basic consultation and communication skills. Adequate interpersonal skills, ability to work with a variety of personnel from different laboratories and discuss optimal procedures for assays. Ability to effectively communicate with the PI and other lab members verbally, by email, and using various electronic communication platforms.
- Two years of college level coursework in data science, computer science, bioinformatics, computational biology, cellular and molecular biology, or related science, and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Understanding of fundamentals of pharmacology, cell biology, and biochemistry; basic understanding of mammalian cell signaling.
- Strong quantitative skills.
- Proficiency with computers; ability to use a variety of computer architectures and computing environments, knowledge of computer operation and maintenance, ability to address minor computer issues and seek professional computer maintenance/support/repairs when necessary.
- Knowledge of the operating systems (Window, Linux, MacOS).
- Knowledge of programming languages (Python, R, and Java) and programming environments for these languages.
- Familiarity with data structures and basic algorithms.
- Basic understanding of mass spectrometry and proteomics.
- Basic knowledge of systems modeling techniques.
- Good understanding of computer security, ability to maintain secure passwords and copy files in a safe manner.
- Familiarity with computer software and databases for storing and analyzing experimental results.
- Proficiency with Google Office.
- Ability to follow existing protocols and accurately record own steps.
- Good time management, demonstrated ability to plan and schedule activities in advance and execute them in a timely, efficient, and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to share knowledge and to inform and teach students new techniques.
- Familiarity with UCSD Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) principles.
- Must be available to work some weekends and evenings to complete project tasks.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
What we offer
Annual Full Pay Range: $48,900 - $102,300 (will be prorated if the appointment percentage is less than 100%)