December 6, 2023
About Our Company
AppFolio is a leading provider of cloud business management solutions for the real estate industry. Our solutions enable our customers to digitally transform their businesses, address critical business operations and deliver a better customer experience. For more information about AppFolio, visit www.appfolioinc.com.
Job Description & Responsibilities
A Lead Analyst to manage a team of data analysts who support AppFolio’s insurance (FolioGuard) and screening businesses. This lead analyst should position screening and insurance to be data-driven across product, pricing, forecasting and decision making by providing supporting insights via experimentation, opportunity identification, exploratory analyses and KPI visibility.
- Deliver insights, analyses, and reports that directly contribute to profitable growth of the FolioGuard and Screening businesses.
- Facilitate the creation of reports, dashboards, and interactive tools that provide accurate, actionable data for product leaders to run their businesses.
- Provide analyses and insights that identify opportunities for profitable growth through product experimentation, cost optimization, and understanding customer behavior.
- Contribute to ideation as a partner and trusted advisor to stakeholders by using deep knowledge of business lines and corresponding datasets.
- Act as a strategic partner to stakeholders by building trust, nurturing/growing relationships, and being a key consult in business decision-making
- Build stakeholder trust by leading your team to consistently deliver extremely accurate, high quality data, reports, and analysis so they never have to question the validity of you and your team’s work.
- Invest time to deeply understand your stakeholders responsibilities and needs, and the nuances of their lines of business.
- Manage and develop analytics talent, for success in scaling long-term with planned business growth.
- Hire and maintain the necessary talent to execute the overall data analytics vision, with well-defined responsibilities and ownership.
- Ensure all data analysts deeply understand the space they support, as much as their business/product counterparts and are considered invaluable, trusted advisors.
- Ensure staff masters the newest techniques/technologies, by investing in existing and new members of the team through training, certifications, mentorship and partnerships.
- Ensure the team is always working on the most important things by protecting them from distractions and low impact tasks, and providing clear, consistent guidance on prioritization.
- Advanced Business Acumen: Has a deep understanding of how businesses work and are knowledgeable in SaaS vertical practices, trends and technology. Applies the right financial, customer and product metrics, strategy and market knowledge to make sound business decisions.
- Hiring & Developing People: Hires the best and understands the value of building a strong team. An inspiring mentor for people managers, building a rock solid leadership bench of culture-carrying top performers who subscribe personally, and hold their teams to high standards of excellence.
- Cross Functional Knowledge: Navigates across verticals and functions and understands how each department contributes to our mission. Able to build relationships and quickly establishes trust with others to make things happen. Brings teams and people together to accomplish important things.
- Coaching / Ability to develop people: Coaches people in their current roles to improve performance and prepares them for future growth, proactively instilling perspective when necessary to ensure employee engagement.
- Communication / Executive Presence: Has authentic communication skills including transparency and clarity in both formal and informal settings including: one-on-one, small and large groups across different levels and departments. Applies exceptional presentation skills to distill complex information into simple concepts & compelling stories.
- Priority Setting/Prioritization: Can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal. Zeros in on critical things and puts trivial items to the side.
Aligns with Analytics Values:
“Data driven” means our narratives, interpretations, and conclusions are based on results from analysis and do not lead analysis.
- Anticipate Risks: We consider any potential risk of harm with results to any relevant population (e.g., customers, customers’ customers, etc.) and use this as part of our decision to conduct analyses and if so, how to do so ethically.
- Consider All Variables: We consider a wide range of potential variables to consider in analysis to ensure analyses are thorough and as objective as possible.
- Approach Testing Scientifically: Testing criteria are established by scientific means in order to avoid any bias towards particular groups/cohorts.
- Build Models Transparently & Ethically: Model inputs and their contribution to model results/decisions are transparent, understood, and documented. Productionized models are regularly assessed for unethical feedback loops or impacts.
- Impact-Aware: Decision making connected to our tests and models consider impact to all relevant populations, including but not limited to the business.
- Strong mathematics, statistics, analytical and problem solving skills - either from a bachelor's degree or equivalent professional experience
- 2+ years in lead or management role with responsibility for a team
- 1+ years of SaaS/Ecomm relevant experience
- 3+ years of work experience in a Data Analytics / Data Science role
- Strong business acumen and experience in a business setting
- Strong Tableau, SQL, and Excel skills required
- Ability to support, work and communicate with a fast, cross-functional team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Listening and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate ideas in both technical and business terms
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with DBT
- Experience with creating concise slide decks to communicate complex analytical information to non-technical audiences
- Proficient in Python - for data transformation, data visualization and/or automation
- Experience with AWS
- Experience creating and presenting financial forecasts to finance & product leaders
- Working knowledge of Salesforce suggested
What we offer
The base salary/hourly wage that we reasonably expect to pay for this role is: $108,000 - 162,000
The actual base salary/hourly wage for this role will be determined by a variety of factors, including but not limited to: the candidate’s skills, education, experience, etc.
Please note that base pay is one important aspect of a compelling Total Rewards package. The base pay range indicated here does not include any additional benefits or bonuses/commissions that you may be eligible for based on your role and/or employment type.
Regular full-time employees are eligible for benefits including but not limited to:
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Long-term and short-term disability insurance
- Wellness benefits
Interns / full-time temporary / eligible variable hour employees are eligible for benefits including but not limited to:
- Wellness benefits