December 4, 2023
About Our Company
The National MS Society's vision is: A World Free of MS.
The National MS Society's mission is: We will cure MS while empowering people affected by MS to live their best lives.
Job Description & Responsibilities
Who We Are Looking For
Working in conjunction with other technical and analytics team members, the Senior Data Analyst is responsible for turning data into insights that ultimately inform the strategy of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. The analyst combines leadership, communication, and technical skills to transform business questions into compelling “data storytelling”.
The Senior Data Analyst is primarily involved in assessing and preparing data for consumption by the teams that build visualizations and dashboards while continuously promoting data quality and data governance.
The Analyst Also
- Maintains the Society’s Conceptual Data Model and works with the Data Engineering team to transform it into a physical data model for use with the newly implemented Analytics Platform.
- Assists in the implementation of a Data Catalog and Data Glossary that will maintain an accurate inventory of the Society’s enterprise data assets.
- Identifies data-quality related metrics and reports and shares them with management and the business data stewards.
- This role does not directly manage people or handle funds. However, this person is responsible for the maintenance, quality and usability of the Society’s enterprise data, which is a very valuable Society resource. The individual will work with business personnel, project managers, product owners and technology vendors in the execution of their duties. The individual will provide presentations to explain data quality best practices. These presentations may be shared with the organization’s CLT, BDAC, SLT, and influential volunteer leadership.
- This individual demonstrates high-level knowledge and experience to apply industry & data management best practices to projects. Specifically, the staff member will rely on experience, planning and judgment to accomplish goals and perform a variety of tasks concurrently.
- The Senior Data Analyst will provide guidance, and knowledge while sharing and supporting internal staff for troubleshooting, problem solving, and researching complex issues. The individual will provide and communicate integrated solutions that are complex and strategic in nature that will follow the organization’s architectural roadmap.
Data Analysis - 70%
- Create processes, procedures, and specifications to bring data into a common structure.
- Develop data solutions to perform analysis, interpret analysis, and support the development of insights and recommendations for use.
- Provide ad hoc data analysis to identify issues, trends, insights to support the Society’s key analytics objectives.
- Prepare data for analytics consumption.
- Profile data from key enterprise systems.
- Analyze patterns and issues resulting from data profiling.
- Lead the effort to continuously define, monitor, and report on metrics to measure data quality.
- Evaluate changes to existing applications as well as new applications for their impact on data quality.
- Align all solutions with the Society Strategy, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Standards, Technology Roadmap, and the Society Data Strategy.
- Participate in the implementation of a Data Catalog and Data Glossary, with emphasis on data lineage and the inventory of data assets to support the Data Analytics team and other business stakeholders.
- Implement processes and procedures to ensure that the Data Catalog and Data Glossary are maintained.
- Work with the Enterprise Analytics team and other business and technical teams to support the Society’s data strategy to improve data quality and trusted analytics.
Data Quality Leadership 25%
- Continuously educate business teams and Business Relationship Managers on data best practices, data quality concepts, and guiding principles.
- Promote a continuous improvement mindset though communication to business partners.
- Demonstrate deep knowledge of the data strategy and be viewed as an expert in data analysis.
- Partner with the Engineering team, Enterprise Product Owners, Data Stewards, and business stakeholders as it relates to data analytics.
- Support Society’s agile principles to emphasize iterative delivery and by obtaining frequent feedback for course corrections.
- Translate highly complex data initiatives in ways that can be understood by a variety of audiences.
- Understand root causes of data issues, and aid in the prioritization and communication of remedies.
Volunteer Engagement - 5%
- Support local market/office, including but not limited to attending market/office meetings.
- Work local fundraising events, which may occur on nights or weekends.
- At least 10 years of related experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- DataIKU Core Designer certification is required
- Extensive DataIKU experience is required
- Excellent SQL skills
- Power BI experience is required
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Mathematics or equivalent work experience. An advanced degree is a plus.
- Experience with statistical analysis tools like R or Python
- Understanding of data warehousing, data lake concepts and design
- Excellent data analysis skills are required
- Requires 10 plus years’ experience in a complex and fast-paced information technology setting.
- Demonstrated ability eliciting, documenting, and verifying technical, business, and data requirements/needs with multiple departments and functions.
- Ability to effectively summarize detailed and complicated information
- Ability to interpret technical language into business terms
- Proven ability to positively influence senior leadership, peers, and vendors.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and teaming skills including skills and experience in preparing executive level communication and presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize work and complete tasks within timelines.
- Results oriented “change agent” with the ability to successfully interface with all levels and areas of the organization.
- Ability to simplify complex data and technology concepts for use by varying business audiences.
- Agile certification is a plus.
- Non-profit experience is a plus.
- Salesforce, Workday, and/or Talend experience is a plus
- Power BI experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated computer literacy including accurate word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (Excel), PowerPoint and/or database skills.
- Lucid Chart experience is a plus.
- Position may require occasional business travel.
What we offer
Compensation & Benefits Information
Estimated compensation range for this role is $91,000-$109,000 annually. Final offers will be based on candidate geographic location, career experience and may vary from this range due to these factors.
You will have the opportunity for a highly competitive, comprehensive benefit package that the Society provides to employees. Your benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays; 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Educational Reimbursement Plan; Professional Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Comprehensive Health & Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings. We value continuous learning and support your professional development through a Professional Development Assistance plan. You will join an incredible mission focused team of people!