December 2, 2023
About Our Company
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue of approximately $40 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, increasing productivity in their laboratories, improving patient health through diagnostics or the development and manufacture of life-changing therapies, we are here to support them. Our global team delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services, Patheon and PPD.
Job Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Finance Data Analyst will join our FP&A Systems Team within the Group FP&A center of excellence, working from our offices in Carlsbad, CA. and reporting to the Sr Manager - Finance Data Platform and Products.
Our drive and passion, as a team, is to provide a robust and accurate data platform for reporting and analytics, that meets the demanding needs of multiple business units across our global organization. This is an excellent opportunity, for a similarly passionate person, to join our Centre of Excellence and work on high profile projects. This hands-on, multi-functional role will suit someone with the skills and passion to really make a difference and seize opportunities to improve the data processes and procedures across our platform.
Working directly with our internal customers you will lead functional data warehouse process, validation and improvement initiatives for the Systems FP&A team, as well as supporting the monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes. As the link between our technical and business functions you also partner with and advise the IT support teams to craft, test and implement break fixes and improvements to the systems across our data platform and supporting processes.
- Coordinate with IT team to maintain data warehouse applications and packages across active environments
- Validate and reconcile data across all relevant systems
- Responsible for feature delivery in the data warehouses and communication with the functional FP&A, regional FP&A and accounting teams as applicable
- Monitor system health and drive IT partners to resolve ETL and DB issues
- Identify and resolve system issues -diagnosing root cause and providing countermeasures to leadership team
- Incorporate automation techniques where applicable to reduce non-value add activities
- Work directly with corporate IT to make sure systems are functioning in accordance with financial requirements and SLA’s
- Maintain key processes used to support the consolidation and financial reporting for the business
- Document current processes and controls, new system requirements and the creation of applicable testing scenarios for enhancements and system updates
- Lead integrations and perform validations from source systems and ensure data flows downstream as the need arises.
- Implement policies and procedures that will improve the overall operation and efficiency of the systems, department and Company
- Conduct business impact assessments
- Liaise with functional team to resolve issues and prioritize systems fixes/improvements with the IT team
- Bachelor’s degree with demonstrated ability and experience in financial reporting systems in an FP&A setting
- Broadknowledge of data warehousing concepts such as data modelling, star schemas, and ETL
- Exposure to ERPs such as E1, SAP or EBS
- Experience with Python or other coding languages
- Advanced user in Microsoft excel (PowerPivot, VBA)
- Visualization experience in PowerBI or Tableau considered a plus
- Experience navigating a highly matrixed environment to achieve department goals
- Experience directing a team and working across functional lines
- Understanding of data analytics, systems setup, and management reporting
- Understanding of finance, accounting, and impact to reporting systems
- Experience with HFM, FDM, ODI, DRM, Essbase, EPBCS or similar systems is preferable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Natural bias towards continuous improvement. Exposure to PPI/Kaizen methodologies is considered an advantage
What we offer
The salary range estimated for this position based in California is $85,000.00-$151,000.00.
This position may also be eligible to receive a variable annual bonus based on company, team, and/or individual performance results in accordance with company policy. We offer a comprehensive Total Rewards package that our U.S. colleagues and their families can count on, which includes:
- A choice of national medical and dental plans, and a national vision plan, including health incentive programs
- Employee assistance and family support programs, including commuter benefits and tuition reimbursement
- At least 120 hours paid time off (PTO), 10 paid holidays annually, paid parental leave (3 weeks for bonding and 8 weeks for caregiver leave), accident and life insurance, and short- and long-term disability in accordance with company policy
- Retirement and savings programs, such as our competitive 401(k) U.S. retirement savings plan
- Employees’ Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) offers eligible colleagues the opportunity to purchase company stock at a discount